Did everyone have a nice Easter? We did, it was relaxing, and simple. We didn't do anything big really, Chris and I didn't even take James to see the Easter Bunny...whoops. But! My younger sister, Shannon and I dyed eggs.
They turned out pretty!
Anyways, Friday I promised I'd show you my DIY headboard...so here it is.
I got the idea here, and reading through it the first few times, I thought it was going to be super easy, and I thought the tutorial was very thorough...well I was wrong. Maybe the tutoial would've been more help if I was a more experienced upholsterer, but this was my first ever DIY upholstery project...I mean it says in the first paragraph that it is more of an advanced project...but I kind of overlooked that because I really wanted to do it. So, I guess what I'm getting at, is I have a few more tips for people like me.
Ok, to start here is what you'll need**:
- Peg board*
- 3 inch upholstery foam* [Joann's has it]
-2 1/2yards of linen [I used this kind]
-Lots and lots of cover buttons [got mine here, in the 5/8" size]
-Long upholstery needles [like these]
-Batting*...like what you use for quilts
-Staple gun [I have this one]
-Spray adhesive [like 3M Super 77]
*We have a queen size bed, so we got peg board,and upholstery foam, and batting that was 48"x62"
**Oh, and you'll probably need an extra set of hands...because I physically could not do the tufting by myself, and even with Chris it was difficult.
Alright, so you got all your stuff right? Good, now take all your cover buttons [we ended up using 43 of them] and some of your linen, and make all of your buttons.
They are super easy to make, and all 9 packages took me like 25 minutes.
This thing, yes I don't know what this is called...or what it's actual purpose it, but I used it after my fingers got tired.
Yay, now we have lots of buttons, I told you it wouldn't be too bad.
Now to the not fun parts.
Take your peg board, and figure out where you want your tufts to be and circle the holes in chalk...
Still with me? Okay good, now then put your foam under your pegboard and line it up correctly like your life depended on it. Then take a sharpie and mark where the holes will go.
Then take some sort of knife, and cut out where you put the dots [I was worried about making them too big, but you need to worry more about making them too small, so make them on the bigger side.] For this, you basically want to carve in a circle, and twist and pull the foam out...the tutorial I used said this was "fun" but I beg to differ.
Now take your spray adhesive and glue the foam onto the peg board, again lining it up like your life depended on it. I had Chris lay on it a few minutes...just to make sure it was going to stick forever.
Now glue on your batting.
And you get something like this. Now drape your linen over it, really make sure you center it.
Now, take a button and knot the shit out of your upholstery thread...
And shove your upholstery needle through all of the layers you have...from front to back, and pull the thread as tight as you possibly can...Chris and I developed a technique that helped us a lot...we propped the head board against the wall [linen side facing the wall...after you poke the needle through] and pushed on the head board...while pulling...does that make any sense...I hope so.
Now staple in a zig zag kind of pattern...I also taped it with heavy duty packaging tape...I'm not sure it did much but I'm just that way.
Now repeat this process like a billion more times...working down each row...from the middle out.
Once you are done with that, lay your head board down, so you can finish the edges.
I didn't center it well, so it was a super tight fit.
Now staple all around the edges, checking fairly often to make sure the fabric is doing what you want it to do...then staple a row of staples at the bottom of the upholstery foam...
A small tip I wish i had done...either buy from a 60" bolt, or sew 2 pieces of linen together so you can cover the ugly bottom of the head board...I may just add a piece on later...but you don't really see it so whatever,
Also, maybe buy a few upholstery needles, because this is what we had at the end of our project.
And there you have it.
I hope most of that made sense...if something wasn't the clearest, just comment or email me, and I'd be happy to help you out in any way I can.